Re: [Xen-devel] [xen 4.6 retrospective] [urgent] rename "freeze" window and make release branch as soon as possible after RC1

>>> On 05.08.15 at 11:22, <lars.kurth.xen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Release Process improvements:
> * Reopen the tree development tree as soon as possible after RC1 (I will let
> you guys figure out the best RC - let's call it RCx)
> * In other words, create the release  branch at RCx

Assuming this is what the majority wants (I'm not particularly convinced
this is the best model, but I'm also not particularly convinced branching
as late as possible is - both have up and down sides) ...

> There could be some optimisations and additional things that may make sense:
> * Encourage maintainers/committers to refrain from committing big
> refactoring changes during RCx and the final RC for a release to avoid
> complications if we want to cherry port bug fixes, etc. from master to the
> release branch

... I dislike this, i.e. I don't see a "half open" tree to be very helpful.
Especially large refactoring patches tend to repeatedly need manual
adjustment when retained outside of the main tree.

> * Committers should be permitted to apply backports to the release branch
> until the actual release rather than putting all the burden on the stable
> maintainer(s)

Yet a clear +1 here.

Jan