Re: [Xen-devel] Interested in taking up a project

Hi everyone,
 I'm sorry for the late update. Actually I had another project going on in parallel, didn't want to distribute efforts. I'm all free now. I'hv gone through ACPI and how linux facilitates services on top of it to allow easy development of drivers.
I went through the implementation approach of powerclamp, it controls power consumption by managing C states of the core. This was my learning so far. Code makes a little sense to me, I'll need some more time to get hands on powerclamp's code ( I'hv no experience with linux kernel code). After this I'll start exploring Xen.

@Dario I'll look into how popular it is in the linux world and if there are some real popular real space applications built on top of it. I'll put my findings here.

Please let me know if I'm in the right direction

On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 6:41 PM, Dario Faggioli <dario.faggioli@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 2015-06-24 at 09:56 +0000, Abhinav Gupta wrote:
> Thanks for the help and support guys. I'll need some time to get a
> proper understanding of how it is incorporated in Linux kernel and
> what all interfaces are built on top of it.

Sure! Of course, that was just a suggestion, and we are mostly
interested in having this in Xen, not about how the Linux implementation
works.

Actually, I do believe that, if the thing is popular on Linux, and if
there are user-level (or whatever-level) tools that interact with it, a
common (or at least a compatible and easy to adapt) interface would be a
great plus (for us!), but really, don't go too much deep with that.

What I really meant was that, if it were me doing this, I'd at least
have a look, with the aim of figuring out how actually popular, useful
and used this is in the Linux world. If it's used a lot, then we can see
about being compatible with it. If it's just some forgotten piece of
code inside the kernel, then we can implement our own variant of it,
without caring of Linux's interface and user space tools!

> Once I'm comfortable with that and xen's credit_scheduler, for
> starting, I'll come up with a design doc and share with you all.

Sure, that would be great.

> I'll keep reporting the progress of the work and ask related doubts in
> this thread.

Or, feel free to use this thread for updates, but open new ones for
specific questions or issues.

As soon as you read, understand and follow:
http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Asking_Developer_Questions

Go ahead and ask whatever you need help and advise with! :-)

Regards,
Dario