Re: [Xen-devel] Fwd: [v3 14/15] Update Posted-Interrupts Descriptor during vCPU scheduling

On 07/09/2015 03:18 PM, Dario Faggioli wrote:

>>> Consider the following scenario:
>>> - v1 blocks on pcpu 0.
>>>  - vcpu_runstate_change() will do everything necessary for v1 on p0.
>>> - The scheduler does load balancing and moves v1 to p1, calling
>>> vcpu_migrate().  Because the vcpu is still blocked,
>>> vcpu_runstate_change() is not called.
>>> - A device interrupt is generated.
>>>
>>> What happens to the interrupt?  Does everything still work properly, or
>>> will the device wake-up interrupt go to the wrong pcpu (p0 rather than p1)?
>>
>> I think much of this was discussed before, since I also disliked the
>> hooking into vcpu_runstate_change(). What I remember having
>> been told is that it really only matters which pCPU's list a vCPU is
>> on, not what v->processor says.
>>
> Right.
>
> But, as far as I could understand from the patches I've seen, a vcpu
> ends up in a list when it blocks, and when it blocks there will be a
> context switch, and hence we can deal with the queueing during the the
> context switch itself (which is, in part, an arch specific operation
> already).
>
> What am I missing?

I think what you're missing is that Jan is answering my question about
migrating a blocked vcpu, not arguing that vcpu_runstate_change() is the
right way to go.  At least that's how I understood him. :-)

But regarding context_switch: I think the reason we need more hooks than
that is that context_switch only changes into and out of running state.
 There are also changes that need to happen when you change from blocked
to offline, offline to blocked, blocked to runnable, &c; these don't go
through context_switch.  That's why I was suggesting some architectural
equivalents to the SCHED_OP() callbacks to be added to vcpu_wake &c.

vcpu_runstate_change() is at the moment a nice quiet cul-de-sac that
just does a little bit of accounting; I'd rather not have it suddenly
become a major thoroughfare for runstate change hooks, if we can avoid
it. :-)

 -George