Re: [Xen-devel] Xen + futexes

On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 1:48 PM, Dario Faggioli <dario.faggioli@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 2015-07-02 at 12:48 +0300, Vitaly Chernooky wrote:
> Hi all!

Hi,

> I have theoretical question.

Great, I love theoretical stuff! :-P

> What do you think about porting futexes or binder to XEN?

Ouch... That's *too* theoretical! :-)

No, really, I know a bit about futexes [0], while I know nothing about
binder (I'll investigate).

Actually, we don't even have mutexes _within_ the hypervisor, so I
struggle a bit to figure out how it would be useful to offer a similar
support to whatever is userspace for us (i.e., what futexes do, as far
as I can recall).

Yes, it is reasonable because mutexes are enough hi-level stuff. But futexes is not so hi-level ...

So, that's why I was joking/saying about this being too much
theoretical: do you have a use case in mind where something like that
can help and be useful? If yes, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

As far as we can observe sometimes in this mailing list we get RFCs for new intercommunication mechanisms. If i'm not mistaken last one was Xen Sockets. It looks like existing mechanism are not enough useful for many people. It is the reason why I started to discuss this ideas.

With best regards,
Regards,
Dario

[0] http://www.akkadia.org/drepper/futex.pdf

Vitaly Chernooky |ÂSenior Developer - Product Engineering and Development
GlobalLogic
P +380.44.4929695 ext.1136 M +380.63.6011802ÂS cvv_2k