Re: [Xen-devel] vif-bridge: ip link set failed, "name" too long

On 06/25/2015 05:53 AM, Ian Campbell wrote:
On Thu, 2015-06-25 at 12:36 +0100, Anthony PERARD wrote:
Error: argument "tap695cf459-b0-emu" is wrong: "name" too long
Under Linux IFNAMSIZ is 16, whereas this is 18 characters.

Since our suffix is "-emu" we are adding 4 to the original 14, so we
could/should pick a 2 character suffix to distinguish PV from emulated
interfaces. "-e" perhaps?

I'm not familiar with Neutron, but might this break some rules or filters it creates based on the name? Appending stuff to a user-provided name doesn't seem right.

One way to avoid the emulated interface is to set libxl_device_nic->nictype = LIBXL_NIC_TYPE_VIF, so only the pv interface is created. In xl.cfg, I suppose that would be

  vif = [ '...,model=netfront' ]

In libvirt domXML

  <interface>
    <model type='netfront'/>
  </interface>

I realize that doesn't help much if the guest has no pv network driver. I wonder how this is handled in KVM? In the libvirt qemu driver, the default interface model is rtl8139 if <model type=''/> is not specified. Does nova add <model type='virtio'/> to interfaces for KVM instances? Is it expected that the guest OS has a virtio network driver?

Regards,
Jim