Re: [Xen-devel] Interested in taking up a project

Thanks for the help and support guys. I'll need some time to get a proper understanding of how it is incorporated in Linux kernel and what all interfaces are built on top of it. Once I'm comfortable with that and xen's credit_scheduler, for starting, I'll come up with a design doc and share with you all. I'll keep reporting the progress of the work and ask related doubts in this thread.

Thanks,
Abhinav

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015, 3:15 PMÂGeorge Dunlap <george.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 06/21/2015 07:37 AM, Abhinav Gupta wrote:
> Hii,
>Â Â I'm still waiting for the confirmation. Have started looking into the
> code though.

Hey Abhinav,

Thanks for your interest! As others have said, it's a free world, so of
course you can work on and attempt to contribute whatever you want. :-)

There's nobody else working on this yet, and it's probably still a good
idea, so in that sense, the project is something that you should feel
free to start working on.

I don't have time at the moment to commit to the level of mentorship I
would if you were a GSoC intern; but as a community, we're generally
pretty good about helping people who try to get involved -- as you've
already found out. :-)

One heads-up: A thing we've started doing in our community, before
submitting a large new feature, is to post a design document describing
the purpose of the new feature, and a technical overview of the changes
that you want to make and why.

This is *not required*; you are free to just submit patches with your
changes, and many people do. However, it's not uncommon for maintainers
to request significant changes to the architecture or approach on major
features, which require a major re-write. This can be frustrating both
for you and for us. Done properly, a design document can make things
easier for all of us.

Looking forward to seeing your work!

Â-George