Re: [Xen-devel] PCI Passthrough ARM Design : Draft1

On Tue, 16 Jun 2015, Manish Jaggi wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 June 2015 09:21 AM, Roger Pau Monnà wrote:

> > >   I think that the toolstack (libxl) will need to call
> > > xc_domain_memory_mapping (XEN_DOMCTL_memory_mapping), in addition to
> > > xc_domain_iomem_permission, for auto-translated PV guests on x86 (PVH)
> > > and ARM guests.
> > I'm not sure about this, AFAICT you are suggesting that the toolstack
> > (or domain builder for Dom0) should setup the MMIO regions on behalf of
> > the guest using the XEN_DOMCTL_memory_mapping hypercall.
> >
> > IMHO the toolstack should not setup MMIO regions and instead the guest
> > should be in charge of setting them in the p2m by using a hypercall (or
> > at least that was the plan on x86 PVH).
> >
> > Roger.
> There were couple of points discussed,
> a) There needs to be a hypercall issued from an entity to map the device MMIO
> space to domU.
> What that entity be
>  i) Toolstack
> ii) domU kernel.
>
> b) Should the MMIO mapping be 1:1
>
> For (a) I have implemented in domU kernel in the context of the notification
> received when a device is added on the pci-front bus. This was a logical point
> I thought this hypercall should be called. Keep in mind that I am still not
> aware how this works on x86.

I think that is OK, but we would like to avoid a new hypercall. Roger's
suggestion looks good.

> For (b) The BAR region is not updated AFAIK by the pci device driver running
> in domU. So once set the BARs by firmware or enumeration logic, are not
> changed, not in domU for sure. Then it is 1:1 always.
> Should the BAR region of the device be updated to make it not 1:1 ?

I think the point Ian and Julien were trying to make is that we should
not rely on the mapping being 1:1. It is OK for the guest not to change
the BARs. But given that the memory layout of the guest is different
from the one on the host, it is possible that the BAR might have an
address that overlaps with a valid memory range in DomU. In that case
the guest should map the MMIO region elsewhere in the guest physical
space. It might also want to update the virtual BAR accordingly.

(Alternatively the toolstack could come up with an appropriate placement
of the virtual BARs and MMIO region mappings in the guest. This is what
I was suggesting, but this solution is probably more complex than
letting the guest choose.)