Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC v2] xSplice design

On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 04:31:12PM +0200, Martin Pohlack wrote:
> On 12.06.2015 16:03, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 01:39:05PM +0200, Martin Pohlack wrote:
> >> On 15.05.2015 21:44, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> I am not convinced yet, that you need an asynchronous approach here.
> >>
> >> The experience from our prototype suggests that hotpatching itself is
> >> not an expensive operation.  It can usually be completed well below 1ms
> >> with the most expensive part being getting the hypervisor to a quiet state.
> >>
> >> If we go for a barrier at hypervisor exit, combined with forcing all
> >> other CPUs through the hypervisor with IPIs, the typical case is very
> >> quick.
> >>
> >> The only reason why that would take some time is, if another CPU is
> >> executing a lengthy operation in the hypervisor already.  In that case,
> >> you probably don't want to block the whole machine waiting for the
> >> joining of that single CPU anyway and instead re-try later, for example,
> >> using a timeout on the barrier.  That could be signaled to the user-land
> >> process (EAGAIN) so that he could re-attempt hotpatching after some
> >> seconds.
> >
> > Which is also an asynchronous operation.
>
> Right, but in userland.  My main aim is to have as little complicated
> code as possible in the hypervisor for obvious reasons.  This approach
> would not require any further tracking of state in the hypervisor.

True.

> > The experience with previous preemption XSAs have left me quite afraid of
> > long-running operations - which is why I was thinking to have this
> > baked this at the start.
> >
> > Both ways - EAGAIN or doing an _GET_STATUS would provide an mechanism for
> > the VCPU to do other work instead of being tied up.
>
> If I understood your proposal correctly, there is a difference.  With
> EAGAIN, all activity is dropped and the machine remains fully available
> to whatever guests are running at the time.

Correct.

> With _GET_STATUS, you would continue to try to bring the hypervisor to a
> quiet state in the background but return to userland to let this one
> thread continue.  Behind the scenes though, you would still need to

<nods>
> capture all CPUs at one point and all captured CPUs would have to wait
> for the last straggler.  That would lead to noticeable dead-time for
> guests running on-top.

Potentially. Using the time calibration routine to do the patching guarantees
that we will have an sync-up every second on machine - so there will be always
that possiblity.

> I might have misunderstood your proposal though.

You got it right.

> > The EAGAIN mandates that the 'bringing the CPUs together' must be done
> > under 1ms and that there must be code to enforce an timeout on the barrier.
>
> The 1ms is just a random number.  I would actually suggest to allow a
> sysadmin or hotpatch management tooling to specify how long one is
> willing to potentially block the whole machine when waiting for a
> stop_machine-like barrier as part of a relevant hypercall.  You could
> imagine userland to start out with 1ms and slowly work its way up
> whenever it retries.
>
> > The _GET_STATUS does not enforce this and can take longer giving us
> > more breathing room - and also unbounded time - which means if
> > we were to try to cancel it (say it had run for an hour and still
> > could not patch it)- we have to add some hairy code to
> > deal with cancelling asynchronous code.
> >
> > Your way is simpler - but I would advocate expanding the -EAGAIN to _all_
> > the xSplice hypercalls. Thoughts?
>
> In my experience, you only need the EAGAIN for hypercalls that use the
> quiet state.  Depending on the design, that would be the operations that
> do hotpatch activation and deactivation (i.e., the actual splicing).

The uploading of the patch could be slow - as in the checking to be done
and on an big patch (2MB or more?) it would be good to try again.