Re: [Xen-devel] Clarifying the state of ARINC653 scheduler (and other components) in Xen 4.5 and beyond

On Mon, 2015-06-08 at 14:01 +0100, Lars Kurth wrote:
> > On 8 Jun 2015, at 13:19, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > In MAINTAINERS S: Supported means:
> >
> > "Someone is actually paid to look after this.", which I think is
> > distinct from "This works well enough that the project is happy to
> > recommend it is used in production". It's a shame that Supported can be
> > taken to mean both things.
> >
> > For reference Maintained is "Someone actually looks after it.".
> >
> > Alternatively if someone can think of another way to express "paid
> > maintainer" we could switch to that.
>
> And then there is of course the question what we do with ARINC653.

Not sure we actually need to do something. The status in MAINTAINERS is
consistent with the existing semantic, as there's actually people
actively looking after the scheduler (and paid to do so, AFAIK).

Wrt the wiki page, the best way of capturing the state of things is,
basing on what's in there for the other schedulers, 'Supported' there
too. The scheduler has a very limited scope, and is useful only in a
handful of situations, and that's by design. But for those situations it
works pretty well, AFAIK.

Moreover, there is people in the community providing help to interested
users on how to set it up (there has been a thread on xen-users about
this rather recently).

Whether we should recommend to use it in production, well, I think we
could, of course for those people and only for them having a requirement
for compliance with the ARINC653 standard, which certainly is not the
most common thing around.

Whether it's actually being used in production by anyone, I don't
know... although they may not be allowed to say much/everything, maybe
Robbie and Josh could comment on this... but is this that relevant?

Regards,
Dario