Re: [Xen-devel] save & restore failed when tmem enabled in Xen 4.1 & Xen 4.3

Hi Konrad,
  Thank you for your reply!
  It does not matter whether it is 1000 or not. Most of the save & restore operations will be failedÂ
when there are more than 1000 pages put in the persistent pool. Some of the operations
will be success when there are not so much pages put in the persistent pool.
  Attached file is the screenshot of the error message (no log files), and it seems to be panic in libnss-files.
  Migration operations have the same phenomenon as save & restore operations, and some of them are success
when there are not so much pages put in the persistent pool.

  Also, my test environment is as follows:

Xen server: Xen 4.1 (Oracle VM server release 3.2.6), Xen 4.3 (Oracle VM server release 3.3.1)
Guest: Â ÂUbuntu 14.10 (kernel 3.16.0)
Params: Â8cores, 8G ramï 100G disk (using "file" protocol). Â

Best Regards,
Yunfang

On Thu, Jun 04, 2015 at 10:27:06PM +0800, yunfang tai wrote:
> Hi all,

Hey!
>Â Â ÂRecently, I am testing the TMEM support on Xen. I discovered that when
> enabled TMEM in ubuntu 14.10 as guest on Xen 4.1 & Xen 4.3, "xm save" & "xm
> restoreâ failed after there are more than 1000 pages put in persistent pool
> of TMEM in Xen. My operations are list as follows:

Is it exactly 1000 or just about? I presume it does not matter how much but
that you discovered it by having 1000 of them?

> In ubuntu guest (8 cores , 8GB):
> sudo modprobe tmem
> (than wait for the selfballoon to finish)
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/test.img bs=10M count=1000
> dd if=/tmp/test.img of=/dev/null bs=10M
> dd if=/tmp/test.img of=/dev/null bs=10M
> (until more than 1000 pages put in persistent pool)

> In Domain 0:
> (add tmem in grub.cfg)
> xm save ubuntu test.save
> xm restore ubuntu test.save
>
> When TMEM is not enabled, save & restore success after these operations.
> But if TMEM is enabled, save & restore fail.

Are there any errors from the logs? Anything?

> Does anyone test about save & restore when enabled TMEM in Xen?? Is there
> anything I do wrong?

Well lets see what broke. But I think Andrew discovered that the
migration protocol when it came to 'tmem' was not up to snuff. CC-ing him
just to confirm.

(Andrew, for the persistent part of this - it conceptually should
get all of the tmem memory that pushed to the hypervisor back in the
image. When you were looking at migrationv2 did you just skim through
that or mostly ignored it?)

Thanks.