Re: [Xen-devel] QEMU bumping memory bug analysis

On Fri, 2015-06-05 at 17:43 +0100, Wei Liu wrote:

> 3. Add a libxl layer that wraps necessary information, take over
>    Andrew's work on libxl migration v2.  Having a libxl layer that's not
>    part of migration v2 is a waste of effort.
>
> There are several obstacles for libxl migration v2 at the moment. Libxl
> layer in migration v2 still has unresolved issues. It has
> inter-dependency with Remus / COLO.
>
> Most importantly it doesn't inherently solve the problem. It still
> requires the current libxl JSON blob to contain information about max
> pages

It doesn't require that, the whole point of the libxl layer is to
provide a suitable home for that information which is not the current
libxl json blob (which is user facing cfg data) or the libxc stream
(which is opaque to libxl).

Once you have the general concept of the libxl layer, adding a new field
to it will be trivial (because it will have been designed to be
trivially extendable).

>  (or information used to derive max pages).
>
> Andrew, correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> 4. Add a none user configurable field in current libxl JSON structure to
>    record max pages information.
>
> This is not desirable. All fields in libxl JSON should be user
> configurable.
>
> 5. Add a user configurable field in current libxl JSON structure to
>    record how much more memory this domain needs. Admin is required to
>    fill in that value manually. In the mean time we revert the change in
>    QEMU and declare QEMU with that change buggy.
>
> No response to this so far. But in fact I consider this the most viable
> solution.

I initially thought that this was just #4 in a silly hat and was
therefore no more acceptable than that.

But actually I think you are suggesting that users should have to
manually request additional RAM for option roms via some new interface
and that the old thing in qemu should be deprecated and removed?

How would a user know what value to use here? Just "a bigger one till it
works"? That's, well, not super...

Ian.