Re: [Xen-devel] win7 stuck on boot occasionally when apicv enabled

>>> On 03.06.15 at 11:31, <sunguodong@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am getting a vm stuck problem when booting a windows 7 guest on
> xen-4.6(latest version).
> My hvm guest: Windows 7 64bit (installed pvdriver inside, pvdriver is
> downloaded from
> 'http://wiki.univention.de/index.php?title=Installing-signed-GPLPV-drivers')
> My server's CPU model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2643 v2 @ 3.50GHz
>
> This happens rarely, maybe only once in hundreds times of rebooting, and
> when this appens, it stucks on the Windows Logo screen.
> In order to know where it stopped, I turned on the Boot message and OS Boot
> Information in OS. It showed something like bellow:
> "
> Micfosoft (R) Windows (R) Version 6.1 (Build 7600)
> 4 System Processors [4088 MB Memory] MultiProcessor Kernel
> Boot Logging Enabled
> "
> then it stucks forever.
>
> Then I turned off apicv with option 'apicv=0' and did the rebooting test
> again, the stuck problem didn't show up for at least 9000 times of rebooting.
> So I think it is related with apicv, maybe interrupts loss occasionally when
> vm is booting when apicv is enabled.
>
> Has anyone come across this problem before? Or what can I do to solve this?

Hmm, I first thought this could very well be the problem we're seeing
as random Windows install or migration failures in osstest, but we're
seeing at least the latter even on 4.3, which doesn't support that
feature. Cc-ing the VMX maintainers...

Jan