Re: [Xen-devel] Regression: qemu crash of hvm domUs with spice (backtrace included)

Il 12/05/2015 16:44, Stefano Stabellini ha scritto:
On Tue, 12 May 2015, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
On Tue, 12 May 2015, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
Il 12/05/2015 12:26, Fabio Fantoni ha scritto:
Il 12/05/2015 11:23, Fabio Fantoni ha scritto:
Il 11/05/2015 17:04, Fabio Fantoni ha scritto:
Il 21/04/2015 14:53, Stefano Stabellini ha scritto:
On Tue, 21 Apr 2015, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
Il 21/04/2015 12:49, Stefano Stabellini ha scritto:
On Mon, 20 Apr 2015, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
I updated xen and qemu from xen 4.5.0 with its upstream qemu
included to
xen
4.5.1-pre with qemu upstream from stable-4.5 (changed Config.mk
to use
revision "master").
After few minutes I booted windows 7 64 bit domU qemu crash,
tried 2 times
with same result.

In the domU's qemu log:
qemu-system-i386: malloc.c:3096: sYSMALLOc: Assertion
`(old_top ==
(((mbinptr) (((char *) &((av)->bins[((1) - 1) * 2])) -
__builtin_offsetof
(struct malloc_chunk, fd)))) && old_size == 0) || ((unsigned
long)
(old_size) >= (unsigned long)((((__builtin_offsetof (struct
malloc_chunk,
fd_nextsize))+((2 * (sizeof(size_t))) - 1)) & ~((2 *
(sizeof(size_t))) -
1))) && ((old_top)->size & 0x1) && ((unsigned long)old_end &
pagemask)
==
0)' failed.
Killing all inferiors
In attachment the full backtrace of qemu crash.

With a fast search after I saw the backtrace I found a probable
cause of
regression (I'm not sure):
http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=staging/qemu-upstream-4.5-testing.git;a=commit;h=5c3402816aaddb15156c69df73c54abe4e1c76aa
spice: make sure we don't overflow ssd->buf

Added also qemu-devel and spice-devel as cc.

If you need more informations/tests tell me and I'll post them.
    Maybe you could try to revert the offending commit
(5c3402816aaddb15156c69df73c54abe4e1c76aa)? Or even better bisect
the
crash?
Thanks for your reply.

I reverted to 4.5.0 on dom0 for now on that system because I'm busy
trying to
found another problem that cause very bad performance without errors
or
nothing in logs :( I don't know if if xen related, kernel related or
other for
now.

About this regression with spice I'll do further tests in next days
(probably
starting reverting the spice patch in qemu) but any help is
appreciated.
Based on data I have for now is possible that the problem is that
qemu try to
allocate other ram or videoram after domU create but with xen is not
possible?
In the spice related patch I saw something about dynamic allocation
for
example.
It is probably caused by a commit in the range:

1ebb75b1fee779621b63e84fefa7b07354c43a99..0b8fb1ec3d666d1eb8bbff56c76c5e6daa2789e4

there are only 10 commits in that range. By using git bisect you
should
be able to narrow it down in just 3 tests.
Sorry for delay, I was busy with many things, today I retried with
updated stable-4.5 and also reverting "spice: make sure we don't
overflow ssd->buf" (in a second test) but in both case regression remain
:(
Tomorrow probably I'll do other tests.
I did another test, reverting this instead:
http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=qemu-upstream-4.5-testing.git;a=commit;h=c9ac5f816bf3a8b56f836b078711dcef6e5c90b8
And now seems I'm unable to reproduce the regression, before happen after
few seconds up to 1-2 minutes, now I use the same domU 15-20 minutes
without problem.
Probably is the cause of regression even if seems strange that on unstable
with same patch on tests of some days ago didn't happen.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any reply and sorry for my bad english.
Bad news, qemu crash still happen even if this time in qemu log there is
another output, see attachment.
After take a look on the other patches I saw:
http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=qemu-upstream-4.5-testing.git;a=commitdiff;h=7154fba0e51ec985ef621965d1b7120ad424fcbf
With "Conflicts: hw/display/vga.c" in description I'll try to revert it
instead.

Or someone can tell me another probable test I can try?
Tried also to revet the patch above with same result, so I retried with qemu
from 4.5.0 and seems the crash happen also in this case...I'm going crazy :(
Sorry, I missed this bit before. The only thing I could suggest at this
point, would be to make sure that you have a clean test environment.
Usually this happens when you have some "leftovers" from previous broken
tests.

I use make debball to be sure to track and remove all files on package update. Now I retried with latest xen-unstable and the qemu crash didn't happen, more exactly I used this:
https://github.com/Fantu/Xen/commits/rebase/m2r-staging
Latest test with regression based on latest stable-4.5, more exactly:
https://github.com/Fantu/Xen/commits/rebase/m2r-testing
Some days ago on same dom0 and domU I tried with latest stable version (that I use on only 2 production servers for now but I not saw the regression), more exactly:
https://github.com/Fantu/Xen/commits/rebase/m2r-stable-4.5
Dom0 debian 7 with kernel 3.16 from backports, seabios 1.8.1-2 from unstable and this xen configure: ./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-blktap1 --disable-qemu-traditional --disable-rombios --with-system-seabios=/usr/share/seabios/bios-256k.bin --with-extra-qemuu-configure-args="--enable-spice --enable-usb-redir" --disable-blktap2

I suppose that there is unexpected case caused by a backports or missed patch/es to backports from unstable. I not found with a fast look rilevant patch to try to revert, can anyone suggest me the more probable point/s for bisect and/or patch to revert or I must try full bisect 4.5.0->stable-4.5?

Thanks for any reply and sorry for my bad english.