Re: [Xen-devel] Question about DMA on 1:1 mapping dom0 of arm64

On Fri, 2015-04-17 at 15:34 +0100, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> > > If I set dom0_mem to a small value (e.g. 512M), which makes all physical
> > > memory
> > > of dom0 below 4G, everything goes fine.
> >
> > So you are getting allocated memory below 4G?
> >
> > You message on IRC suggested you weren't, did you hack around this?
> >
> > I think we have two options, either xen_swiotlb_init allocates pages
> > below 4GB (e.g. __GFP_DMA) or we do something to allow xen_swiotlb_fixup
> > to actually work even on a 1:1 dom0.
>
> I don't think that making xen_swiotlb_fixup work on ARM is a good idea:
> it would break the 1:1.

This would actually work though, I think, because this is the swiotlb so
we definitely have the opportunity to return the actual DMA address
whenever we use this buffer and the device will use it in the right
places for sure.

The swiotlb buffer can't ever get reused for anything else so we don't
even need to worry about undoing the damage later.

> > Although the first option seems preferable at first glance it has the
> > short coming that it requires dom0 to have some memory below 4GB, which
> > might not necessarily be the case.
>
> I think we should arrange dom0 to get some memory under 4G to begin
> with, not necessarily all of it.

It's another option for sure, the question is how to decide how much,
and how to make it configurable etc.

Ian.