Re: [Xen-devel] Nested Virt - Xen 4.4 through 4.6 - Hyper-V; Can't boot after enabling Hyper-V

On 07/04/15 02:42, mailing lists wrote:
Hi --

I've been trying to get nested virtualization working with Xen so that I could boot Windows and use Hyper-V related features, however I have not had much success.  Using Windows 8.1 or Windows 2012r2, I'm able to install Windows, select and install Hyper-V features, and start rebooting.  However, at that point, the Windows VM only partially boots, then drops me to a screen stating:

Your PC needs to restart.
Please hold down the power button.
Error Code: 0x0000001E
Parameters:
0xFFFFFFFFC0000096
0xFFFFF80315430485
0x0000000000000000
0x0000000000000000

Restarting does not yield any different results.

I've set up Xen in accordance with the notes for patches and config options here:

Trying Xen 4.4.2 stable, 4.5.1 staging, and 4.6 staging.  I applied the patch labeled (2/2) from the wiki link above, compiled, and used the three options provided for the DomU running Windows (hap, nestedhvm, and cpuid mask).  Windows installs and allows me to turn on HyperV features on all versions of Xen listed above, however all give the same or similar message on reboot... I'm never able to get to a running state.

I've tried this on two separate systems.  One has an Intel E5-1620 v2, and the other is a n E5-1650 (original, v1 I guess).  All the virtualization options are enabled in the BIOS.

If the cpuid mask is removed from the DomU config, Windows boots, however I'm unable to start any virtual machines (there was a message in the Windows event log about a component not being started in regards to Hyper V).

Has anyone else run into similar issues?  Any thoughts on next steps?

I am not aware of anyone who has successfully got a setup like this to work.

From https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff557408%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

0x1E is KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED.

http://source.winehq.org/source/include/ntstatus.h suggests that 0xFFFFFFFFC0000096 is STATUS_PRIVILEGED_INSTRUCTION.

Your best bet for debugging this is to debug the minidump generated and see which driver 0xFFFFF80315430485 is a part of, and perhaps exactly what instruction 0xFFFFF80315430485 actually is.

~Andrew