Re: [Xen-devel] Strange memory balloning problem even if balloning is disabled

Il 03/03/2015 12:47, Fabio Fantoni ha scritto:
Il 03/03/2015 12:09, David Vrabel ha scritto:
On 03/03/15 09:05, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
Il 02/03/2015 17:31, David Vrabel ha scritto:
On 02/03/15 16:23, Jan Beulich wrote:
On 02.03.15 at 16:52, <fabio.fantoni@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On systems with wheezy as dom0 and kernel 3.2 it seems there are no
visible problems.
After updating the kernel to 3.16 (from backports repository), after
starting the domUs, I get many of these errors in syslog and kern.log
(infinite loop):
xen:balloon: Cannot add additional memory (-17)
I have a vague recollection of some fix from David aiming at
avoiding to issue this message, but you would clearly have better
luck getting a qualified response if you Cc-ed kernel people when
reporting kernel problems (assuming you need explicit Cc-s at all,
as most relevant people read the list anyway afaik) - I certainly
can't figure by what criteria you put together the Cc list.
You need

3dcf63677d4eb7fdfc13290c8558c301d2588fe8 (xen/balloon: cancel ballooning
if adding new memory failed)
fd8b79511349efd1f0decea920f61b93acb34a75 (xen/balloon: Don't continue
ballooning when BP_ECANCELED is encountered)

Or you can disable CONFIG_XEN_BALLOON_MEMORY_HOTPLUG.

David
Readded the other part of my initial mail that explain better the
problem (also with the patch above applied)...

The strange thing is that it should not use balloning because both dom0
and domUs have fixed memory set and balloning disabled.
Ballooned pages are required to back grant mapped pages in blkback and
netback.

David

Thanks for your reply.
Based on your reply seems I must enable balloning in dom0 (for example dom0_mem=2G,max:3G) and/or xl.conf (autoballoon=1) to have it full working (for grant mapped pages), is it correct?

With same dom0 I tried on different server (Dell PE T620 instead Dell PE T310) and after xl create of a W7 domU... Some seconds after dom0 becomes unusable, unreachable over the network and not respond to commandsconnecting from drac. I did forced powerdown and looking the logs I saw only 36mb of this error in 2 minutes:
xen:balloon: Cannot add additional memory (-17)

I have kernel with patch that should avoiding this (3.16.7-ckt4-3~bpo70+1) and in grub.cfg dom0_mem=2G,max:3G

I not found anything else strange on logs except this in dom0's logs.

If you need more informations or tests tell me and I'll post them.

Thanks for any reply and sorry for my bad english.