Re: [Xen-devel] VM Migration on ARM

On 20/03/15 13:17, Vijay Kilari wrote:
Hi Andrew,

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 4:21 PM, Andrew Cooper
<andrew.cooper3@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
On 11/03/15 05:32, Vijay Kilari wrote:
Hi Andrew,

     From Ian & Stefano, I came to know that you have introduced
Migration framework v2
under below patch series

http://marc.info/?l=xen-devel&m=141036915311145

I have few queries:

1) Is there any plans/timeline to support for ARM32/ARM64?.
I will not personally be doing any ARM migration support, not even as
part of getting migration v2 accepted upstream.

2) Also does the Domain Image format specification for ARM is complete?
The spec has certain sentinel values for ARM already where it made sense
to just include them while writing.

It has no specific thought to ARM migration, but an ARM virtual machine
is exactly like an x86 HVM domain (from the toolstacks point of view),
other than the Qemu record.  With any luck, no new additions to the spec
will be needed, but the spec is trivially extendible if required.
IMO, ARM uses PVH domain.
Can you please let me know how to use your patches, I mean xl/xc commands
to do migration (non-live/live) using your patches.
Any debugging and testing support information would be helpful.

Hi - apologises for the late reply.  I have been on holiday.

The patches series as available does make `xl save/restore/migrate` work, although the error handling leaves a lot to be desired.

We (XenServer) are in the process of attempting to get everything upstream. The libxc side of things is definitely working and already shipped in XenServer 6.5 (We absolutely needed to support migrating between 32 and 64bit toolstacks, which was the primary reason for the rewrite).

What sort of timescale are you looking for on this? I hope to have a new series posted soon, now that the datacopier subseries has been accepted.

~Andrew