Re: [Xen-devel] [Patch 1/2]xen boot_cpu_data initialize

Hi Uma,

First of all, nice to see the patch here on xen-devel... good job! ;-P

A few things:

On Mon, 2015-03-09 at 12:48 +0530, Uma Sharma wrote:
> This patch inserts some boot data initilization in xen/arch and
> function definition in xen/include.

About this description. The fact that it adds a function in a file, is
pretty evident from the code, so it's not really important to say it
here.

OTOH, what you could do here in the changelog, is explaining why the
change introduced is good/necessary.

In the case of this patch, you can see here:

http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-08/msg02166.html

how I tried to do right that (sorry for 'citing' myself, but it's too
easy an example in this case! :-P)

Also, when one needs to send more than one patch (we call it a "patch
series"), what we usually do is to provide some sort of 'patch 0
message', also known as 'cover letter', in which you introduce the
various patches, explaining what they do, why you've done the work, and
other things... For example, in your case, that would be the perfect
place where to put a summary of the experiments you performed and of
they're results, so people can see what the patches are useful for
(performance improvement, in this case).

Also from my old series, here's the cover letter:

http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-08/msg02168.html

And you'll fine a lot of other examples on the mailing list. :-)

About Cc-ing people: you did good Cc-ing George, which is the maintainer
of the scheduler, and me, which am also active in that area, and am
familiar with your work. However, this patches touches arch/x86, so you
should Cc the maintainers of the x86 architecture too (you can easily
figure that out from the MAINTAINERS file).

Last but not least, threading: the cover letter should start a new
thread, and all the patches should be replies to it. I don't know what
you use to generate and send te patches, but whatever tool it is, there
usually are many ways to achieve the above.

Regards,
Dario