Re: [Xen-devel] VT-d Posted-interrupt (PI) design for XEN

On 04/03/15 13:30, Wu, Feng wrote:
> VT-d Posted-interrupt (PI) design for XEN

Thankyou very much for this!

> Background
> ==========
> With the development of virtualization, there are more and more device
> assignment requirements. However, today when a VM is running with
> assigned devices (such as, NIC), external interrupt handling for the assigned
> devices always needs VMM intervention.
>
> VT-d Posted-interrupt is a more enhanced method to handle interrupts
> in the virtualization environment. Interrupt posting is the process by
> which an interrupt request is recorded in a memory-resident
> posted-interrupt-descriptor structure by the root-complex, followed by
> an optional notification event issued to the CPU complex.
>
> With VT-d Posted-interrupt we can get the following advantages:
> - Directly delivery of external interrupts to running vCPUs without VMM
> intervention
> - Decease the interrupt migration complexity. On vCPU migration, software
> can atomically co-migrate all interrupts targeting the migrating vCPU.

I presume you mean "Decrease" ?

"Decease" means something quite different.

> [...]
>
> - Processor Support
> Posted-interrupt processing is a feature by which a processor processes
> the virtual interrupts by recording them as pending on the virtual-APIC
> page.
>
> Posted-interrupt processing is enabled by setting the "process posted
> interrupts" VM-execution control. The processing is performed in response
> to the arrival of an interrupt with the posted-interrupt notification vector.
> recorded in a data structure called a posted-interrupt descriptor.
>
> More information about APICv and CPU-side Posted-interrupt, please refer
> to Chapter 29, and Section 29.6 in the Intel SDM:
> http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/manuals/64-ia-32-architectures-software-developer-manual-325462.pdf
>
> - Root-Complex Support
> Interrupt posting is the process by which an interrupt request (from IOAPIC
> or MSI/MSIx capable sources) is recorded in a memory-resident
> posted-interrupt-descriptor structure by the root-complex, followed by
> an optional notification event issued to the CPU complex. The interrupt
> request arriving at the root-complex carry the identity of the interrupt
> request source and a 'remapping-index'. The remapping-index is used to
> look-up an entry from the memory-resident interrupt-remap-table. Unlike
> with interrupt-remapping, the interrupt-remap-table-entry for a posted-
> interrupt, specifies a virtual-vector and a pointer to the posted-interrupt
> descriptor. The virtual-vector specifies the vector of the interrupt to be
> recorded in the posted-interrupt descriptor. The posted-interrupt descriptor
> hosts storage for the virtual-vectors and contains the attributes of the
> notification event (interrupt) to be issued to the CPU complex to inform
> CPU/software about pending interrupts recorded in the posted-interrupt
> descriptor.
>
> More information about VT-d PI, please refer to
> http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/intelligent-systems/intel-technology/vt-directed-io-spec.html
>

> Design Overview
> ==============
> In this design, we will cover the following items:
> 1. Add a variant to control whether enable VT-d posted-interrupt or not.
> 2. VT-d PI feature detection.
> 3. Extend posted-interrupt descriptor structure to cover VT-d PI specific
> stuff.
> 4. Extend IRTE structure to support VT-d PI.
> 5. Introduce a new global vector which is used for waking up the HLT'ed vCPU.
> 6. Update IRTE when guest modifies the interrupt configuration (MSI/MSIx
> configuration).
> 7. Update posted-interrupt descriptor during vCPU scheduling (when the state
> of the vCPU is transmitted among RUNSTATE_running / RUNSTATE_blocked/
> RUNSTATE_runnable / RUNSTATE_offline).
> 8. New boot command line for Xen, which controls VT-d PI feature by user.
> 9. Multicast/broadcast and lowest priority interrupts consideration.

I know what you are trying to say, but "New variant" does not express
what you mean.

"A new control relating to VT-d PI" perhaps?

> Like variant 'iommu_intremap' for interrupt remapping, it is very
> straightforward
> to add a new one 'iommu_intpost' for posted-interrupt. 'iommu_intpost' is set
> only when interrupt remapping and VT-d posted-interrupt are both enabled.

I would avoid mixing names such as PI and intpost.  If anything, it
should be "iommu_postint" to keep the naming consistent.  (Here and
elsewhere).

> - VT-d PI feature detection.
> Bit 59 in VT-d Capability Register is used to report VT-d Posted-interrupt
> support.
>
> - Extend posted-interrupt descriptor structure to cover VT-d PI specific
> stuff.
> Here is the new structure for posted-interrupt descriptor:
>
> struct pi_desc {
>      DECLARE_BITMAP(pir, NR_VECTORS);
>      union {
>         struct
>         {
>         u64 on     : 1,
>             sn     : 1,
>             rsvd_1 : 13,
>             ndm    : 1,
>             nv     : 8,
>             rsvd_2 : 8,
>             ndst   : 32;
>         };
>         u64 control;
>     };
>     u32 rsvd[6];
>  } __attribute__ ((aligned (64)));

Is there a pending update to the system programming guide?  According to
325384.pdf, only the Oustanding Notification is defined, and all others
are reserved for software use.

I however noticed that these fields match up with the description of a
posted interrupt descriptor in the VT-d spec.  Are they supposed to be
the same structure in memory used by both the cpu and root complex, or
independent structures which happen to look very similar?

> - Extend IRTE structure to support VT-d PI.
> Here is the new structure for IRTE:
> /* interrupt remap entry */
> struct iremap_entry {
>   union {
>     u64 lo_val;
>     struct {
>         u64 p       : 1,
>             fpd     : 1,
>             dm      : 1,
>             rh      : 1,
>             tm      : 1,
>             dlm     : 3,
>             avail   : 4,
>             res_1   : 4,
>             vector  : 8,
>             res_2   : 8,
>             dst     : 32;
>     }lo;
>     struct {
>         u64 p       : 1,
>             fpd     : 1,
>             res_1   : 6,
>             avail   : 4,
>             res_2   : 2,
>             urg     : 1,
>             pst     : 1,
>             vector  : 8,
>             res_3   : 14,
>             pda_l   : 26;
>     }lo_intpost;
>   };
>   union {
>     u64 hi_val;
>     struct {
>         u64 sid     : 16,
>             sq      : 2,
>             svt     : 2,
>             res_1   : 44;
>     }hi;
>     struct {
>         u64 sid     : 16,
>             sq      : 2,
>             svt     : 2,
>             res_1   : 12,
>             pda_h   : 32;
>     }hi_intpost;
>   };
> };

None of the bitfields contain the IM field (bit 15) which is stated as
the qualification between the two interpretations of the IRTE.

Also, I feel that the structure would be better layed out as:

struct iremap_entry {
    union {
        struct { u64 lo, hi; };
        struct { <bitfields> } norm; (names subject to improvement)
        struct { <bitfields> } post;
    };
};

Which does not duplicate the lo and hi u64s in sub-unions.  (This will
involve some refactoring of the existing code.)

> - Introduce a new global vector which is used to wake up the HLT'ed vCPU.
> Currently, there is a global vector 'posted_intr_vector', which is used as the
> global notification vector for all vCPUs in the system. This vector is stored
> in
> VMCS and CPU considers it as a special vector, uses it to notify the related
> pCPU when an interrupt is recorded in the posted-interrupt descriptor.
>
> After having VT-d PI, VT-d engine can issue notification event when the
> assigned devices issue interrupts. We need add a new global vector to
> wakeup the HLT'ed vCPU, please refer to the following scenario for the
> usage of this new global vector:
>
> 1. vCPU0 is running on pCPU0
> 2. vCPU0 is HLT'ed and vCPU1 is currently running on pCPU0

I don't understand what you are trying to express with this scenario.
vCPU0 cannot be running on pCPU0 and also halted with vCPU1 running on
pCPU0.

A vCPU is either running, in which case it has an associated pCPU, or it
is not running and has no specific pCPU affiliation.

~Andrew