Re: [Xen-devel] OSSTest OVMF pushgate

On Wed, 2015-02-25 at 17:20 +0000, Wei Liu wrote:
> Ian and Ian,
>
> Currently OSSTest pushes OVMF changesets to osstest/ovmf.git, while
> xen.git references ovmf.git. This requires us to do manual push from
> osstest/ovmf.git to ovmf.git.
>
> I would like to just reference master in Xen's Config.mk.

This will make the ovmf version used by xen.git be directly tied (via a
push gate) to commits made upstream. We do not currently have anything
like this.

e.g. for qemu we have qemu-mainline tests but xen.git points to output
the qemu-upstream-unstable push gate, where the input is maintained by
Stefano pushing things to a staging branch.

I think tracking upstream from xen.git is likely to be fine for
something like ovmf, but I wanted to make sure this was understood.

We may need to take special care during freeze periods, i.e. by
switching back to a specific version during the freeze. Or else we risk
getting an unfortunate ovmf push right as we try and release.

>   I suppose we
> should make OSSTest to push to both ovmf.git and osstest/ovmf.git to
> avoid having a stale osstest/ovmf.git tree. But I'm not quite sure what
> needs to be done.

I think we shouldn't remove one of the trees so as to avoid breaking
peoples URLs, but they should have the same content, so I think we
should make osstest/ovmf.git a symlink to ovmf.git.

Here is a possible sequence of events, although you will want Ian to
validate I think:

        First we should pause the ovmf gate, by dropping a stop file in
        the right place.

        Then we should make the contents of the two trees the same, in
        particular make sure that tags etc are in sync, then make the
        link.

        Then set the master branch of the single ovmf.git to point to
        the current value of OVMF_UPSTREAM_REVISION.

        Then commit a patch to xen.git/Config.mk which changes
        OVMF_UPSTREAM_REVISION to "master" and wait for that to pass
        through the test gate.

        Then push a change to osstest.git#ap-push to push to master and
        not xen-tested-master and wait for that to pass the gate (or
        force push, since the gate won't be testing it anyway)

        Then restart the ovmf gateway, which will use the new master as
        its baseline I think.