Re: [Xen-devel] freemem-slack and large memory environments

On Wednesday, February 25, 2015 02:09:50 PM Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> > Is the upshot that Mike doesn't need to do anything further with his
> > patch (i.e. can drop it)? I think so?
>
> Yes, I think so. Maybe he could help out testing the patches I am going
> to write :-)

Sorry for not responding to this yesterday.

There is still one aspect of my original patch that is important. As the code
currently stands, the target for dom0 is set lower during each iteration of
the loop. Unless only one iteration is required, dom0 will end up being set to
a much lower target than is actually required.

There are two ways to fix this issue:

 - Set the memory target for dom0 once, before entering the loop
 - During each iteration of the loop, compare the amount of needed memory to
the amount of memory which will be available once dom0 hits the target, and
only lower the target if additional memory is needed.

My patch earlier in this thread does the former, but I think the second option
is also possible. Is there a preference between those approaches (or a better
idea)?

Thanks,
Mike