Re: [Xen-devel] Inplace upgrading 4.4.x -> 4.5.0

On 9/02/2015 7:59 PM, Sander Eikelenboom wrote:
> Monday, February 9, 2015, 9:35:33 AM, you wrote:
>
>> Hello Steven,
>> upgrades from Xen 4.4 to 4.5 are supposed to work out of the box.
>
>> Please post more details and we'll try to help you figure out what's
>> wrong.
>
>> Cheers,
>
>> Stefano
>
>> On Sun, 8 Feb 2015, Steven Haigh wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I was under the impression that you should be able to do in-place
>>> upgrades from Xen 4.4 to 4.5 on a system without losing the ability to
>>> manage DomUs...
>>>
>>> This would support upgrades from running systems from Xen 4.4.x to 4.5.0
>>> - only requiring a reboot to boot into the 4.5.0 hypervisor.
>>>
>>> When I try this in practice, I get a whole heap of permission denied
>>> errors and lose control of any running DomUs.
>>>
>>> Is there some secret sauce that will allow this to work?
>
> You are probably running into a mismatch between the running hypervisor (4.4)
> and
> the now installed toolstack (4.5) .. for instance when trying to shutdown the
> VM's
> to do the reboot.
> (Since the newly installed hypervisor parts are only loaded and run on the
> next boot).

Correct - It is the 4.4 Hypervisor with 4.5 toolstack. After a reboot,
all is good. However this causes the problem - once you update the
packages from 4.4 -> 4.5, you lose the ability to manage any running DomUs.

This is problematic - if only for the fact that you can't shut down
running DomUs for the Dom0 reboot.

I understand that large jumps in versions isn't supported - but I
believe that point versions should be supported using the same toolset.
ie 4.2 -> 4.3, 4.4 -> 4.5 etc.

I'm just about to gather some data for it - and I'll make a new thread
with what I can gather.

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz@xxxxxxxxx