Re: [Xen-devel] (v2) Design proposal for RMRR fix

>>> On 14.01.15 at 13:17, <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-01-14 at 08:06 +0000, Tian, Kevin wrote:
>> - RMRRs conflicting with guest BIOS in <1MB area, as an example of
>> hard conflicts
>
> OOI what is the (estimated) probability of such an RMRR existing which
> doesn't already conflict with the real host BIOS?

Surely the host BIOS will know to place the RMRRs outside its BIOS
image.

> Host BIOSes are generally large compared to the guest BIOS, but with the
> amount of decompression and relocation etc they do I don't know how much
> of them generally remains in the <1MB region.

Recall the example: (host) RMRR naming E0000-EFFFF, which
overlaps with the init-time guest BIOS image, but doesn't overlap
with its resident part (as long as that doesn't exceed 64k in size).

Jan