Re: [Xen-devel] PVH cleanups after 4.5

On Fri, 2014-12-05 at 10:49 +0100, Tim Deegan wrote:
> > > Potential feature flags, based on whiteboard notes at the session.
> > > Things that are 'Yes' in both columns might not need actual flags :)
> > >
> > >                      'HVM'       'PVH'
> > > 64bit hypercalls      Yes         Yes
> > > 32bit hypercalls      Yes         No
> >
> > Iiuc the lack of support of 32-bit hypercalls is simply because PVH
> > guests aren't expected to use them as being always 64-bit right
> > now. I.e. I can't really see why we couldn't just enable them once
> > the 64-bit hypercall tables got combined, in which case we wouldn't
> > need a feature flag here either.
>
> Agreed -- I think the same will apply to a few other things, like shadow
> pagetables and some of the other MM tricks.

Might we want to constrain a given PVH domain to only make 32- or 64-bit
hypercalls?

Or do we consider already having crossed that bridge with HVM enough
reason to allow it for PVH? I'm wonder if that, even if it is
technically possible to support not, doing so might mitigate some
potential security issues down the line. There's obviously a tradeoff
against in-guest flexibility though.

Ian.