Re: [Xen-devel] pv-grub and grub.conf locations

On Fri, 7 Nov 2014, Steven Haigh wrote:
> Hi Stefano,
>
> Sorry to hassle you directly - but I'm trying to figure out a use case
> of pv-grub to replace most pygrub configurations.

No worries. I CC'ed xen-devel, because I think that this is an
interesting question that could be useful to other people too.

> I have two main locations where the grub config may live:
>       1) (hd0)/boot/grub/grub.conf or
>       2) (hd0,0)/boot/grub/grub.conf
>
> This depends if the DomU is created by something like the debian
> installer which refuses to install to a 'whole disk' - or say my EL6
> kickstart which installs to /dev/xvda as ext4 (which is easier to manage).
>
> From what I've been reading, there is no way to pass both of these to
> pv-grub and let it deal with whichever one exists.
>
> Interestingly, pygrub seems to search all paths to make this work - ie
> you only need to specify:
>       bootloader = 'pygrub'
>
> As I'm trying to generate generic config files, it makes life much
> harder to implement pv-grub as the loader (even though its preferred).
>
> Any thoughts on this?

Unfortunately it doesn't look like there is a way to do that at the
moment. But I agree it would be useful and we might be able to make it
work for the next release (Xen 4.6).