[Xen-devel] Is: QXL in Xen (busted) Was :Re: Xen 4.5-rc1 update (RC1 is out 2014-Oct-24th)

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 02:22:06PM +0100, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
> Il 27/10/2014 17:15, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk ha scritto:

> >>About qxl latest version of libxl/xl support patch is here (also posted to
> >>xen-devel) and should be ok:
> >>https://github.com/Fantu/Xen/commit/9d9d0ae23ab3e3e1fcfbb6f3201d3a79f958a7a3
> >which is aab4d1b266ce9891a684704f6abf6a5f6b3f7c24 upstrem.
>
> Was applied upstream for 4.3 and after removed because linux domUs problem
> was not solved before stable release.
> In github I put also a newer version with some improvements.

Ah, so this is a new version that had not yet been posted on xen-devel?

It is Xen 4.5 RC1 so I am not too thrilled to put this in the release,
especially as it sounds like there are still problems to figure out first.

Changing the title to reflect this.

> >>With xen 4.5 qxl vga in windows 7 64 bit domUs seems that works good as kvm
> >>except for a strange problem with xl save/restore.
> >Could you paste in your guest config please.
>
> name='W7-02'
> builder="hvm"
> memory=2048
> vcpus=2
> acpi_s3=0
> acpi_s4=0
> vif=['bridge=xenbr0,mac=00:16:3e:42:a2:5f']
> disk=['/mnt/vm/disks/W7-02.disk1.xm,raw,hda,rw',',raw,hdb,ro,cdrom']
> boot='dc'
> device_model_version="qemu-xen"
> viridian=1
> vnc=0
> keymap="it"
> on_crash="destroy"
> vga="qxl"
> spice=1
> spicehost='0.0.0.0'
> spiceport=6003
> spicedisable_ticketing=1
> spicevdagent=1
> spice_clipboard_sharing=0
> spiceusbredirection=4

Does SPICE always have to be enabled to use QXL?

> soundhw="hda"
> localtime=1
> usbversion=2
>
> winpv installed now and on latest tests:
> http://fantu.info/xen/winpv-20141020-free.7z
> tried also different versions of james harper's pv with same result
> and spice guest tools 0.74 (for vdagent and qxl driver)
>

> >>After restore connecting with spice client domU "freeze" for 2-3 minutes, no
> >>errors or warnings visible in logs, I tried many times to take more
> >>informations about the problem and I already posted about it but for now
> >>nothing :(
> >>The only probably useful data are that domU's qemu process when the problem
> >>happen seems still working but domU's timing (from xl list) not increase.
> >>After restore seems do also other strange thing, "freeze" for 2-3 minutes
> >>also on windows poweroff.
> >That sounds like a timing issue. As in something is waiting for something
> >and we are not triggering it.
> >
> >>Another qxl problem is with linux domUs, I tried to find useful data to
> >>solves it for years, I also did many posts about it in xen-devel- qemu-devel
> >>and spice-devel.
> >>On latest tests domU crash (not qemu crash, I already tried qemu backtrace
> >>but seems impossible) on domU's xorg start (with qxl driver installed) and
> >>I'm unable to take useful informations in logs and various debugs tried.
> >OK, so Linux is not working at all then?
>
> Before "x86_emulate: properly do IP updates and other side effects on
> success" patch always black screen and xorg at 100% cpu.
> After that commit domU crash after xorg start with qxl driver installed and
> I'm unable to take backtrace or useful data about it.

OK, looking at how the driver is setup - it seems that there is an QXL
KMS driver. If you boot without Xorg running but just with in the console can
you use 'fbset' or any other framebuffer tools (linux-fb-tools)?
That is I am curious to see whether the 'FB' is working properly first
before figuring out whether Xorg is working.