Re: [Xen-devel] Ubuntu 14.04 Binutils Breaks Xen EFI Boot

On Thu, 2014-09-25 at 13:43 -0400, John McDermott wrote:
> Xen Developers,
>
> When building Xen for EFI boot on Ubuntu 14.04, if I compile binutils
> from the Ubuntu source package, using the --enable-targets=x86_64-pep
> flag, as required, then I cannot compile Xen.

I don't think you need to rebuild binutils on Ubuntu, it already has the
x86_64-pep target enabled (I'm slightly inferring this from the Debian
package since I'm not an Ubuntu user, but the package maintainer is the
same guy and the packaging has if(ubuntu) in it).

I think what you've ended up doing is building a binutils which can
*only* target x86_64-pep and not the regular ABI, so it can't build
normal binaries.

I recommend you uninstall your self compiled binutils and go back to the
Ubuntu packaging, I expect this will repair your system and you'll still
be able to build Xen with EFI.

Ian.