Re: [Xen-devel] vnuma toolstack extension request

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 11:15 AM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 12:30:58AM -0400, Elena Ufimtseva wrote:
> Hello toolstack maintainers
>
> I would like to request extension for vNUMA toolstack.
> The patches are on the way (latest tomorrow) and it will need to go through
> review process as well.

Hey Elena,

Hi Konrad
Before you invest time in this, a couple of questions:

Â- Dariof was interested in merging this with his auto NUMA placement code.
 ÂThat piece of code does not look simple and I think he volunteered
 Âto do it. However he has also been busy reviewing Xen RT patches so
 ÂI figured he hasn't yet done that.
Yes, Dario mentioned he will be working on this.

Â- Since it would interact with auto NUMA placement and expose new
 Âlogic in libxl we run in the problem of the 'stable' API that we
 ÂMUST preserve. That is a worry - and will require scrutinity.

Â- I think (and please correct me if I am wrong) that it would require
 Âat least two revisions to be posted.
Yes, its a strong possibility.Â

Â- What is the impact if the toolstack patches go in Xen 4.6?
Maybe maintainers will have more info about this. I am only aware of that
vNUMA will not be supported by toolstack in 4.5, so some related work will not be mergedÂ
as vNUMA aware ballooning and HVM support (not sure if the last one is happening though).
Thank you.

> --
> Elena

Elena