Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Overriding MSR values via xl.cfg

On 17/09/14 18:37, Eric Shelton wrote:
> Sometimes, it is helpful to persuade a guest OS that it is running on
> a particular CPU model, or that a CPU has (or does not have)
> particular features.  For example, this may ease migrating guests
> across a heterogeneous pool of systems.  Currently, via an xl.cfg file
> you can specify specific masks or values to be returned for the CPUID
> instruction.  This is an example of the syntax being used:
>
> cpuid = [ '0:eax=0x3,ebx=0x0,ecx=0x0,edx=0x0',
>            '1:eax=0x06b1,
>               ecx=xxxxxxxxxx0000xx00xxx0000000xx0,
>               edx=xx00000xxxxxxx0xxxxxxxxx0xxxxxx',
>            '4:eax=0x3,ebx=0x0,ecx=0x0,edx=0x0',
>   '0x80000000:eax=0x3,ebx=0x0,ecx=0x0,edx=0x0']
>
> MSRs provide another mechanism for a guest to collect information
> about the system on which it is running.  For much the same reasons it
> can be useful to change CPUID values returned to a guest, it could
> also be useful to be able to override and specify particular MSR
> values to be returned to a guest, and for this to be done via an
> xl.cfg.  This would only affect RDMSR return values, and would not
> affect WRMSR behavior.  The syntax in xl.cfg could be simlar to what
> is used for CPUID.
>
> Additionally, it seems like this capability would be useful for debug,
> development, and testing of guest operating systems, or the Xen
> hypervisor itself.
>
> I think the current implementation for the CPUID instruction, both in
> the hypervisor and toolchain, provides a reasonable prototype for
> implementing the above functionality.  However, before I pursue this,
> I wanted to gauge the acceptability of and interest in adding this
> capability to Xen.
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

Which MSRs are you considering for overrides?  In principle I can see
this being useful, although can't currently think of an MSR which is
safe to blanket-override in this way.

The CPUID framework currently has some problems.  Xen itself, and all
components higher up, lack any concept of per-core and per-package CPUID
values.  What currently exists is fine for uni-vcpu guests, but was
never fixed when mutli-vcpu guest support was added.

I will be trying to fix this in the 4.6 development timeframe, but
exactly the same kind of distinction would need to be made for MSRs.

~Andrew