Re: [Xen-devel] cpufreq implementation for OMAP under xen hypervisor.

Hi All!

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 12:56 AM, Stefano Stabellini <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 4 Sep 2014, Oleksandr Dmytryshyn wrote:
> Hi to all.
>
> I want to implement cpufreq driver in the next way:
> 1. Cpufreq governor will be implemented in the Xen
> 2. dom0 will only change cpu frequency and voltage of the physical cpus
>
> But there are some nuances:
> 1. dom0 driver should read an information about operation points
> (frequencies and voltages) and cpu supply source from the device tree for each
> physical cpu. In the omap processor case this driver suspects that
> those settings
> located in the /cpus/cpu@0/ node. But hypervisor creates an cpu node
> for each vcpu
> for kernel dom0 in the device tree and those information is lost in the dom0.
> 2. What about this case if we will have some physical cpus with different
> operation points (for example 2 cpus) and we give only one cpu for dom0?
>
> How should I transfer all information from the original cpu@xxxxxx@n nodes
> about all physical cpus to the kernel dom0 driver? Maybe an additional
> nodes should be created by the hypervisor in the device tree for dom0
> and named as pcpu@xxxxxxx@n?

If we do that, wouldn't we require changes to the core OMAP drivers or
cpu initialization code in Linux (to parse "pcpu" instead of "cpu"
nodes)? I don't expect they would be easy to upstream or maintain going
forward.

I am trying to think of an alternative, such as passing the real cpu
nodes to dom0 but then adding status = "disabled", but I am not sure
whether Linux checks the status for cpu nodes. In addition this scheme
wouldn't support the case where dom0 has more vcpus than pcpus on the
system. Granted it is not very common and might even be detrimental for
performances, but we should be able to support it.

In case where dom0 has more vcpus than pcpus on the
system, the dom0 kernel is the most bug-prone place for pcpu cpufreq governor. So I still believe that separate driver domain with direct 1:1 vcpu:pcpu mapping is the best place for cpufreq governor. But it also reasonable to run cpufreq governor as userspace daemon in dom0.

Also what do you think about PM QoS support? On bare metal cpufreq is tightly integrated with PM QoS and intensively cooperate in frequency scaling.

With best regards,
Ian, what do you think about this?

> Oleksandr Dmytryshyn | Product Engineering and Development
> GlobalLogic
> M +38.067.382.2525
> www.globallogic.com
>
> http://www.globallogic.com/email_disclaimer.txt
>

> On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 9:46 PM, Andrii Tseglytskyi
> <andrii.tseglytskyi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Stefano,
> >
> > Thank you for explanation.
> > I think this requires more and deeper investigation, but for sure dom0
> > must be able to do this.
> > Let us investigate this.
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Regards,
> > Andrii
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 9:39 PM, Stefano Stabellini
> > <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Let me explain with a concrete example.
> > >
> > > Let's suppose that the platform has 2 physical cpus, each cpu has 4
> > > cores. Let's also supposed that dom0 has only 2 vcpus, currently
> > > running on core0 and core1 of cpu0.
> > >
> > > In this case would dom0 be able to change the frequency of core3 of
> > > cpu1, given that is not even running on it?
> > > If it can be done without any hacks, then we can go ahead with this
> > > approach.
> >

> > --
> >
> > Andrii Tseglytskyi | Embedded Dev
> > GlobalLogic
> > www.globallogic.com

Vitaly Chernooky |ÂSenior Developer - Product Engineering and Development
GlobalLogic
P +380.44.4929695 ext.1136 M +380.98.7920568 S cvv_2k