Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.5 development update (July update)

On 03/09/14 12:53, Shriram Rajagopalan wrote:

Andrew,

On Sep 2, 2014 5:29 PM, "Andrew Cooper" <andrew.cooper3@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 02/09/2014 21:45, konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Below is a summary of the projects / features being worked on for the 4.5
> > time frame. The tentative feature freeze is scheduled for September 10th,
> > which is less a week away!
> >
> > Most of the Xen patches that impacted the hypervisor and had'fair'
> > (except the HVM introspection one) I moved to the Xen 4.6 list.
> >
> > They might get Acked by maintainers in the next couple of days which would
> > be fantastic - and if so I will update the list. But perhaps not. Also
> > some are in 'good' or in 'ok' condition - but that does not mean they
> > will automatically go in Xen 4.5.
> >
> > In terms of QEMUÂ - I only had three items and since the version of QEMU
> > from upstream we are using is already established (and stable) I don't see us
> > backporting any more patches from upstream. But perhaps Stefano has some
> > other plans...
> >
> > In terms of the toolstack - I kept the ones that are in the 'fair' category
> > as I think they are easier to test/rebase/retest than the hypervisor ones.
> >
> > In terms of Linux I am keeping the 'fair' ones as by the Xen 4.6 release
> > it could be v3.19, which means there is still an upcoming merge window
> > for those.
> >
> > The "prognosis" is now the likelihood of completion in the 4.5 timeframe.
> > A bunch of items had moved to the completed phase which is fantastic.
> >
> > none - nothing yet
> > fair - still working on it, patches are prototypes or RFC
> > ok Â- patches posted, acting on review
> > good - some last minute pieces
> > done - all done, might have bugs
> >
> > For items involving code hosted on the Xen.org site (including qemu-xen),
> > that means a likelihood of having the feature code-complete and mostly
> > working by the feature freeze. (It's OK if there are still bugs to be
> > worked out.)Â For items in Linux, it would mean having items on track
> > to make it into the kernel released just after the scheduled 4.5 time frame.
> >
> > In terms of libvirt it has monthly releases. As such not going to track
> > every release - but closer to when RCs are out.
> >
> > = Timeline =
> >
> > We are planning on a 9-month release cycle. Based on that, below are
> > our estimated dates:
> >
> > * Coding time: <=== NOW, one week left!
> >
> > * Feature Freeze: 10th September 2014
> > * First RC: 10th October
> > * Release: 10th December 2014
> >
> > The RCs and release will of course depend on stability and bugs, and
> > will therefore be fairly unpredictable. The feature freeze may be
> > slipped for especially important features which are near completion.
> >
> > If you think your patchset MUST go in Xen 4.5 I will post the procedure
> > for requesting an exception to get them in past the feature freeze next
> > week.
> >
> > = Prognosis =
> >
> > The states are: none -> fair -> ok -> good -> done
> >
> > none - nothing yet
> > fair - still working on it, patches are prototypes or RFC
> [...]

Sorry about this. Can you point me to the specific patches that you need feedback on?

Shriram

http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=people/andrewcoop/xen.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/saverestore2-v6.2

should contain all the underlying bugfixes identified from the remus libxc patch series. It also contains a few new functions which should make the remus specific bits easier.

~Andrew