Re: [Xen-devel] Code 12 with VGA passthrough, even with qemu-traditional

On 8/21/2014 6:01 PM, Sander Eikelenboom wrote:
I have a system (amd based) with radeon HD6950 that is able to be passed through to a linux HVM guest (although you only get output after the kernel loads the radeon KMS/DRM driver since it's secondary passthrough). This is _not_ the primary graphics card from the host (got another radeon for dom0).

Just chiming in here with a side note.

I decided to test out KVM + vfio on 3.16 with acs + intel igd patches and passed through my secondary card. It was successful and I had the Seabios screen show up on my secondary VGA card (GTX 660ti). It maintained video throughout the boot process including the Windows 7 installer. The only catch really was that since the host was on qemu 2.0.0 and did not have the -cpu kvm=off switch (to hide kvm) I had to use Nvidia driver 335.x (or earlier). Basic 3D tests have proved sucessfull and pt continues to work after subsequent guest reboots.

Now to be clear, I am partial to Xen. My thinking is that at some point (or perhaps even now) that using the qemu upstream device model with Xen will yield this type of capability. I am not so familiar with vfio or even pt with KVM. There just happened to be the right guide out there on the net that could fill in the blanks.