[Xen-devel] Block-attach USB devices

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Franz Flintzer <fflintzer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 14:36:03 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 06:51:30 +0000

Hi,

I am using xen 4.3.2 and trying to hotplug usb flash drives. I have a Fedora 20 host and a Windows 7 DomU (hvm).

When using "xl block-attach" I can successfully attach a USB-device in write mode and make changes to it in DomU. They are only saved to the USB if I detach it from within the Dom0 ("xl block-detach"). In Windows there is no option to safely eject though because the device is seen as a hard drive.

I am thinking this has to do with Windows writing to the memory first for performance reasons. With flash drives imo Windows writes straight to the drive to prevent data loss.

Is there a way to let the Windows DomU recognize the device as a USB flash drive?

The command I am using right now looks like this: xl block-attach windows phy:/dev/sdb1 sdb w

Thank you for your help

Franz