Re: [Xen-devel] virtualization Android OS + XEN.

On Wed, 6 Aug 2014, anshul makkar wrote:
> Hi,
> I am working on a project Virtualdroid where I aim to achieve isolation for
> each VM.
>
> After having considered various options like QEMU or XVIsor now I have
> narrowed down to Xen reason being that its
> architecture of domains suits what my requirements are.

Welcome on board!

> I am new to Xen, having spent most of the time on QEMU and Virtualbox, so
> sorry for basic question, but just wanted
> to check that is XEN community targeting ARM for mobile devices and do we
> have releases specific for ARM mobile
> devices.

The main Xen releases target both x86 and ARM. If you are going to do
development I would recommend to checkout xen-unstable, the working tree:

git://xenbits.xen.org/xen.git

> In most of the forums I read about the support for ARM servers and on the
> other hand I saw a presentation from
> Samsung for virtual android OS, so just confused .
>
> Please can you share your thoughts on above. I am target Cortex A9 without
> hardware virtualization support and
> Cortex A15 with HW virtualization support.

The upstream Xen on ARM project, the one you'll find in xen.git,
requires virtualization extensions. See:
http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_ARMv7_with_Virtualization_Extensions
http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions_whitepaper

Samsung has been maintaining a separate non-upstream Xen port to ARM
that can run on ARM cpus without virtualization extensions.
Unfortunately the mailing list for this project has been archived due to
lack of activity.  This is the wiki page on the subject:

http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_(PV)