Re: [Xen-devel] some thoughts on appstacks and app-tools

On 15/07/14 18:30, Justin Cormack wrote:
On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 4:26 PM, Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2) deciding if we want very simple "builtin" versions of some common
configuration utilities, or if we'll always include the full NetBSD
binaries

Perhaps we can keep the set utilities small enough that we don't need
to replicate busybox.

The problem about having a builtin set is that they are still big
enough to need tests and bugfixes and documentation and so on. If
NetBSD already had a Busybox it might be a different matter.

I was thinking the "builtin" set would be something like the existing netconfig lib (~300 lines of code, plus dhcp) and just some additional C code to call mkdir+mount; something really really simple.

3) deciding if we want applications themselves to handle backgrounding
e.g. via daemon(), or limit backgrounding to rc scripts using &, and
dealing with whatever problems arise as a result

Things like dhcp need to background, so need to resolve quite early on.

I don't think we'll be using a "userspace" dhcp client in any case.

And I don't think backgrounding is a problem. In fact, this more or less does backgrounding already:
https://github.com/rumpkernel/rumpuser-xen/blob/master/rumpkern_demo.c#L336-L376

Another option that just occured to me, as performance of this setup
phase is not critical, might be to use a C interpreter eg
https://code.google.com/p/picoc/ to run the NetBSD utilities... That
then solves the namespacing issues, and allocation etc, obviously
needs hooking into the rump syscalls. Then you just ship (compressed)
source code in a config library. I might try prototyping this.

Right, the setup phase is not performance critical, up to a certain definition of "not". That's why remote clients work so nicely for configuration (in userspace).

Curious idea, assuming you can find a C interpreter which both has reasonable memory requirements and works. Not sure picoc would work for NetBSD userland utils (which, if nothing else, tend to be C99):
https://code.google.com/p/picoc/wiki/DifferencesFromC90

I'm pretty sure if you can get one hooked to libc, rump kernel syscalls will just work.