Re: [Xen-devel] [Patch v6 01/13] docs: libxc migration stream specification

On 07/07/14 18:37, Andrew Cooper wrote:

> +SAVING\_CPU
> +----------
> +
> +A saving cpu record provides a human readable representation of the CPU on
> +which the guest was saved.
> +
> +     0     1     2     3     4     5     6     7 octet
> +    +------------------------+------------------------+
> +    | 7bit ASCII String                               |
> +    ...
> +    +-------------------------------------------------+
> +
> +The information is purely informative as it doesn't directly affect how to
> +save or restore the guest, but in the case of an error on restoration may
> help
> +to narrow down the issue.
> +
> +x86 architecutres use the _CPUID_ 48 character processor brand string.

This is new functionality that I think should be separate from this series.

This feels like something that should be machine readable and verifiable
rather than a human readable string.

That's not to say a freeform record for human readable information
wouldn't be useful, but I don't think it should be restricted to just
the CPU name.

7 bit ASCII is rather quaint.  Would utf-8 be better?

David