Re: [Xen-devel] [xen-unstable bisection] complete build-i386-libvirt

Ian Campbell writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] [xen-unstable bisection] complete
build-i386-libvirt"):
> On Mon, 2014-06-30 at 15:13 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > Perhaps we can avoid this by having the libvirt builds #define
> > LIBXL_API_VERSION but only some of the time.  As a configure option
> > perhaps.  (The configure option would specify not the version to use,
> > but rather just that VERSION ought to be defined rather than not.)
>
> We could probably arrange for this ourselves in the harness, using
> whatever CFLAGS-appending scheme the libvirt build system supports.

Then we would have to choose the version which would be wrong.  The
actual version to define or not ought to be along with the libvirt
code in its git reepo.

> However we currently insist that LIBXL_API_VERSION is one of a known
> bunch of values if it is set, so defining it without a specific value
> won't currently work.

That's not what I mean.

I mean that libvirt would offer a configure option whose meaning would
be "please define LIBXL_API_VERSION to whatever the latest version is
that you support".

> Another wrinkle is that like SONAMES we only currently bump
> LIBXL_API_VERSION once per release cycle (if at all).

That would be easy to do differently.  We don't make changes like this
all that often and they already involve a lot of palaver.

Ian.