[Xen-devel] Bug: USB Bridge Will Not PassThru

  • To: Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: merc1984@xxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 23:00:31 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 06:00:53 +0000

I have a device which is a programmable bridge by Cirrus Semiconductor.
It converts parallel TTL to USB2.  I've built udev rules to upload its
firmware when detected (by VID/PID), and to set the permissions and a
systemd alias of its new identity after the firmware is loaded.

With Xen 4.3 its Cirrus (unprogrammed) identity would not show up when
passed thru to an HVM, but after it got its firmware its new identity
(Anchor) would pass thru, and worked fine.  With Xen 4.4 its
unprogrammed and programmed  identities no longer pass through.  The
error in dmesg is not helpful.  I'll follow up with that tomorrow.

I know that this is a special case, but there are alot of these
programmable bridges out there for various functions.  And actually,
with Xen 4.4 I am not able to pass through -any- of my USB devices
anymore.  The mouse, keyboard, Canon scanner, sd card reader, all fail
to show in the HVM domU.  PCI forwarding dom0's USB hub is not an option
as there is only one hub for the whole machine that handles all 14
ports.