Re: [Xen-devel] Bug: /proc/xen Doesn't Mount

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014, at 10:00, Ian Campbell wrote:
On Tue, 2014-06-17 at 12:56 -0400, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
You are not running 'xenstored' or 'oxenstored'. Your init scripts
should have run that - did you made sure they were setup in the right
init level?

Yeah, all of this sounds very much like xencommons isn't being run (it
does the mount and starts xenstored IIRC).

Merc, what guide/docs are you following to build/install Xen from
source? It seems like they are incomplete.

The only thing available is the README and wiki here:
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Compiling_Xen_From_Source

Every wiki article I've followed so far has many things missing and out of date.  Almost all the articles on The Internets are way out of date, so it's hazardous using those.  Half the job is translating wiki articles to current Debian.  For example at http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Compiling_Xen_From_Source#Post-Installation:
# update-rc.d xend defaults 20 21
update-rc.d: error: initscript does not exist: /etc/init.d/xend
# update-rc.d xendomains defaults 21 20
insserv: warning: current start runlevel(s) (2 3 4 5) of script `xendomains' overrides LSB defaults (2 3 5).

I don't know how serious this is nor what to do about it.  And my whole path is littered with this sort of issues.  I'm building on shards of problems, and I'm not confident in anything.  When you follow carefully but then lose confidence in the reference docs for a complex set of software, you start doubting everything it says, increasing time it takes to do this by 10x.  Things that seem obvious to those inured, are showstoppers for the rest of us.  I'm betting this turns away almost all new users who just don't bother or aren't tenacious.

I know that some here will ask that I sod off, but every problem I've encountered so far appears to be a bug.  It could be argued that they -are- bugs when they prevent a user from getting it running.  I know you guys are working hard at it and there's alot of development, but I've spent 2 weeks so far sorting out show-stopping problems, many of which could be avoided with updated ref materials.  I've offered to help with docs, but I am presently in an emergency situation trying to get my domains running again and VGA forwarding working, and after that I have days of work to get production going again.

For example, the VGA problem I can only infer, as always;  After a week of struggle, I heard that qemu-xen-traditional was "removed from Debian a long time ago".  Yet VGA forwarding doesn't work with qemu-xen, as I knew it hadn't supported VGA forwarding in the past.  I'm guessing and hoping that Xen-4.4.0 qemu-xen from source -will- support VGA forwarding but I have no proof of that since I've never had my questions answered.  So I embarked on this switch from Debian packages (4.3) to compiling source (4.4) and hope that this will give VGA forwarding.