Re: [Xen-devel] Best way to get IP addresses from VMs without logging in to them?

On 11/06/14 18:47, Russ Pavlicek wrote:
> Ian,
>
> The tcpdump route is probably in line with the process in the Wiki.
> Still seems like a really awkward solution to me.
>
> Andrew,
>
> Using ARP or the DHCP logs on a machine which runs the DHCP server is
> definitely simpler, but it doesn't apply in my case unfortunately.
> I've used solutions like the daemon you describe in the past, but I
> was hoping not to have to go that way.

ARP and DHCP sniffing is done in dom0.

> There isn't any way to execute a command over the Xen console
> interface is there?

No - Xen has no knowledge of networking.  I assume you actually mean dom0.

>   Or query some table from the bridge without
> sniffing packets?  I was hoping there would be some way to query for
> the value, instead of sniffing for one, especially when the virtual
> network wire has to know what IPs are assigned where.

Without cooperation from the guest, something somewhere needs to sniff
for the information.

While the simple case is easy, the general case is not.  The network
setup on the other end of the vif can be arbitrarily complicated with
multiple IP addresses, vlans or bonds.  There are also setups with
multiple vifs.

~Andrew