Re: [Xen-devel] [Xen Hackathon] new PV drivers

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Andy Smith <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2014 19:16:19 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 09 Jun 2014 19:16:25 +0000

Hello,

On Mon, Jun 09, 2014 at 04:06:25PM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-06-09 at 10:55 -0400, Boris Ostrovsky wrote:
> > Feeding is done by interrupt timing and block device access latency,
> > both of which are happening in a guest. I don't know whether there is
> > enough of that but perhaps before embarking on new PV driver it may be
> > worth investigating quality of existing entropy source. Or maybe it's
> > already been looked at.
>
> I've not done the numbers/investigated it myself but it's a quite widely
> held belief that those things are not sufficient in a virtual machine.

Available entropy in my VMs is much lower than on the dom0, to the
point where I had customers doing a lot of HTTPS/TLS who were
expeirencing stalls.

I bought a couple of Entropy Keys and shipped in entropy to the VMs
via an additional daemon.

    https://tools.bitfolk.com/wiki/Entropy

A software solution to seed entropy in VMs from the dom0's pool
would be welcome.

Cheers,
Andy