Re: [Xen-devel] [3.15-rc3] Bisected: xen-netback mangles packets between two guests on a bridge since merge of "TX grant mapping with SKBTX_DEV_ZEROCOPY instead of copy" series.

Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 7:10:27 PM, you wrote:

> On 05/05/14 11:19, Sander Eikelenboom wrote:
>>
>> Hi Zoltan,
>>
>> This weekend i tried some more things, the summary:
>>

>> 1) It's a PITA to isolate your patches that went into 3.15 (to rule out any
>> other changes) and apply
>>     them to 3.14.2, which is tested and worked ok. Could you put up a git
>> tree
>>     somewhere and rebase your patch series on 3.14.2 for testing ?
> I've managed to repro the case in house, now I'll start to add more
> debug logging

Yippie :-)

>> 2) Does the test suite you are using also has tests verifying that the
>> content of packets isn't altered ?
> Not directly. But the applications running on top of them probably do
> so. Also, my tests are running on top of 3.10 kernel, where the netback
> changes are backported.

I would probably be a nice test that would be overlooked quite easily, although
it the should be the primary concern .. :-)

<big snip>

>> Ad 4a) Assumption that  "An upstream guest shouldn't be able to send 18
>> slots":
>>      - xen-netfront does this slot check in "xennet_start_xmit":
>>          slots = DIV_ROUND_UP(offset + len, PAGE_SIZE) +
>>                  xennet_count_skb_frag_slots(skb);
>>          if (unlikely(slots > MAX_SKB_FRAGS + 1)) {
>>                  net_alert_ratelimited(
>>                          "xennet: skb rides the rocket: %d slots\n", slots);
>>                  goto drop;
>>          }
>>
>>      - The "MAX_SKB_FRAGS + 1" was changed due to:
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/xen/devel/266980,
>>        but it doesn't seem to be the proper solution.
>>      - So your assumption doesn't hold, MAX_SKB_FRAGS==17, so 18 slots can
>> come through.
>>      - On 3.15-rc4 i now started to see this warning getting triggered and
>> packets dropped, i don't see this on 3.14.2:
>>        [  118.526583] xen_netfront: xennet: skb rides the rocket: 19 slots |
>> skb_shinfo(skb)->nr_frags: 3, len: 186, offset: 4070, skb->len: 62330,
>> skb->data_len: 62144, skb->truesize: 63424, np->tx.sring->rsp_prod: 21434,
>> np->tx.rsp_cons: 21434  DIV_ROUND_UP(offset + len, PAGE_SIZE): 2
> Now I get it: compound pages on frags can cause more slots in certain
> cases. Hm, I don't know how we should handle this on netfront side.

I don't know if something similar as netback does would be possible, do a check
before dequeuing the skb and do the required slot detection in the capped
pessimistic way (unless Paul comes up with something more clever) ?