Re: [Xen-devel] prefix and python site-packages

On Wed, 2014-04-23 at 12:05 +0200, Olaf Hering wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 23, Ian Campbell wrote:

> > > Looks like sys.path.insert() is the python way of rpath.
> > > Would it be acceptable to tweak pygrub at install time and insert
> > > something like the hack I had posted earlier?
> >
> > Does Python distutils (used by tools/pygrub/setup.py) not have any
> > support for doing this sort of thing automatically?
>
> I have to check.
> But how would pygrub, or any other helloworld.py, know that it was
> installed into --prefix= and its libs/modules are also in --prefix=? I
> think something has to be hardcoded, unless PYTHONPATH or simimar is
> used to point to a specific --prefix=.

setuyp.py is the thing which does all of this installing, so it knows
where everything is going. It presumably also knows the default python
path.

How does this work for every other python library/application out there?
I can't imagine we are special here.

> > >  From what I have seen
> > > pygrub is the only remaining binary using the xen.lowlevel stuff.
> >
> > It only uses it to decide if the hypervisor supports 64 bit PV guests.
> > Since the we no longer have a 32-bit hypervisor perhaps we can just nuke
> > that check and sidestep the whole problem?
>
> It also uses fsimage and grub.*, which is also installed below --prefix=

OK, I only looked at xen.lowlevel since that was what you mentioned.

Ian.