Re: [Xen-devel] xl shutdown --wait "racy"

George Dunlap writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] xl shutdown --wait "racy""):
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 3:13 PM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > It is waiting for the domain to be shutdown (state 's') not for the
> > domain to be destroyed. So it's doing what it said it would (I
> > appreciate you might not find this distinction helpful under the
> > circumstances...)
>
> For any reasonable person's definition of "shutdown", it does *not*
> wait until it's shutdown.  "In the shutdown state" is not something
> anyone outside of Xen cares about: what they care about is being able
> to, for example, start the domain again (or start a domain that
> depends on resources currently held by the shutting down domain).

Quite.  I think this is simply a bug and it should wait for the domain
to be destroyed.

It's IMO a tolerable side-effect if this means that when the domain
shuts down in a way that causes it to be preserved (ie the daemonic xl
doesn't reap it) xl shutdown -w gets stuck.  (There should be an
option to restore the former behaviour but it should not be the
default.)

Ideally xl would record something somewhere so that it would know
what's going on and could make "xl shutdown -w" fail in the default
case if it's going to wait "forever".

Ian.