Re: [Xen-devel] Opening Xen 4.4.1-pre for backports

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 03:04:25PM +0200, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:

> > > I'd like to see at least the following backported to Xen 4.4.1:
> > >
> > > - pygrub fixes (rhel7 beta support)
> > > - qemu-upstream hvm vcpu hotplug patches (actually these seem to be
> > > already in
> > > qemu-upstream-4.4)
> > > - RTC fixes (win2k3 crash fix)
> >
> > I guess you mean 4c15a82f, c7e35c6e, and 6d27a537 here. I'm not
> > sure I want to copy them over that quickly.
> >

> Yep. I recall these were discussed during the 4.4-rc cycle and the thought
> was
> the RTC fixes would first go to master, and then after 4.4.0 release get
> backported to 4.4.1.
> Whatever timing is good..
>

> > > - Konrad's serial console (SOL/AMT) patches / Broadcom TruManage
> > > NetXtreme
> > > UART patches
> >
> > While for the .1 stable release we generally apply somewhat
> > relaxed backporting rules, I'd still see some sort of justification
> > for such a feature backport. Only bug fixes would generally be
> > considered without further justification.
> >

> Well having a working serial console (SOL/AMT) also for new hardware
> is kind of important.. These patches sounded like they'll enable

The AMT should work without trouble with Xen 4.4.

The issue with AMT was that the 'Broadcom TruManage' patch inadvertly
made the AMT not work.

> serial on new/upcoming devices.

They aren't really that new - they were cheap and I needed some PCIe serial
cards and these fit the bill - except that they did not work with Xen.
Now they do.

> Konrad can probably comment more about those.

I would say no - because they are not critical (they are nice to have) and
they are not used that often (the normal user does not use the serial console
that often).

But they are pretty easy to apply if somebody wants has a need for it
right away.