Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] ARM VM System Sepcification

On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 08:12:35 -0500, Christopher Covington <cov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Hi Christoffer,

> >> Can you elaborate on the motivation for requiring that the kernel be
> >> stuffed
> >> into a disk image and for requiring such a heavyweight
> >> bootloader/firmware? By
> >> doing so you would seem to exclude those requiring an optimized boot
> >> process.

This spec doesn't exclude or prevent VMs from doing that if the user
wants to. It is about specifying the base requirements for a disk image
to be portable. Any disk image conforming to this spec should boot on
any VM conforming to the spec.

> > What's the alternative?  Shipping kernels externally and loading them
> > externally?  Sure you can do that, but then distros can't upgrade the
> > kernel themselves, and you have to come up with a convention for how to
> > ship kernels, initrd's etc.
>
> The self-hosted upgrades use case makes sense. I can imagine using a
> pass-through or network filesystem to do it in the case of external loading,
> something like the following.

Network booting is actually something else that is already supported and
doesn't use the filesystem protocol at all. DHCP+TFTP to obtain the 2nd
stage loader (which can do whatever it wants) is the preferred way to do
things. The problem with trying to provide a network filesystem

Section 3.4.2 (Boot via LOAD_FILE_PROTOCOL) and 3.4.2.1 (Network
Booting) covers that scenario. Network boot uses most of the Preboot
eXecution Environment (PXE) spec except it retrieves an EFI executable
instead of a PXE executable. It is expected that PXE server will then
supply all the boot configuration to the client. The exact same thing
can be done with VMs... all of which is out of scope for this section
because it is talking about disk images!  :-)

g.