Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] ARM VM System Sepcification

> Am 27.02.2014 um 22:00 schrieb Arnd Bergmann <arnd@xxxxxxxx>:

>>> The point is that if we need to share any real hw then we need to use
>>> whatever the host has.
>
> I would be more comfortable defining in the spec that you cannot share
> hardware at all. Obviously that

Nonono we want to share hardware.

> doesn't stop anyone from actually
> sharing hardware with the guest, but at that point it would become
> noncompliant with this spec, with the consequence that you couldn't
> expect a compliant guest image to run on that hardware, but that is
> exactly something we can't guarantee anyway because we don't know
> what drivers might be needed.
>
> Also, there is no way to generally do this with either FDT or ACPI:
> In the former case, the hypervisor needs to modify any properties
> that point to other device nodes so that they point to nodes visible
> to the guest. That may be possible for simple things like IRQs
> and reg properties, but as soon as you get into stuff like dmaengine,
> pinctrl or PHY references, you just can't solve it in a generic way.
>
> For ACPI it's probably worse: any AML methods that the host has
> are unlikely to work in the guest, and it's impossible to translate
> them at all.
>
> Obviously things are different for Xen Dom0 where we share *all* devices
> between host and guest, and we just use the host firmware interfaces.
> That case again cannot be covered by the generic VM system specification.
>
>> I dislike ACPI as much as the next guy, but unfortunately if the host
>> only supports ACPI, the Linux driver for a particular device only works
>> together with ACPI, and you want to assign that device to a VM, then we
>> might be forced to use ACPI to describe it.
>
> Can anyone think of an example where this would actually work?
>
> The only case I can see where it's possible to share a device with
> a guest without the hypervisor building up the description is for
> PCI functions that are passed through with an IOMMU. Those won't
> need ACPI or DT support however.

If you want to assign a platform device, you need to generate a respective
hardware description (fdt/dsdt) chunk in the hypervisor. You can't take the
host's description - it's too tightly coupled to the overall host layout.

Imagine you get an AArch64 notebook with Windows on it. You want to run Linux
there, so your host needs to understand ACPI. Now you want to run a Windows
guest inside a VM, so you need ACPI in there again.

Replace Windows by "Linux with custom drivers" and you're in the same situation
even when you neglect Windows. Reality will be that we will have fdt and acpi
based systems.

Alex