Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] ARM VM System Sepcification

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 05:08:38PM -0600, Rob Herring wrote:
> > What does the 8250 have to recommend it over just providing
> > the PL011?
>
> As I mentioned, it will just work for anything that expects the serial
> port to be ttyS0 as on x86 rather than ttyAMA0. Really, I'd like to
> see ttyAMA go away, but evidently that's not an easily fixed issue and
> it is an ABI.

Kernel parameters (eg. console=...) are going to be embedded inside the
guest VM disk image inside a grub configuration or something like that,
right? Is there enough here to ensure that I can ship a guest VM disk
image that will correctly work (ie. use the right device) for both
kernel console output and userspace getty, regardless of what the host
is? Reading your post I realise that I'm not sure what I need to do to
make this work, since the device may be different. Can something be
recommended as part of the spec for this?