Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC v2 2/4] net: enables interface option to skip IP

On Mon, 2014-02-24 at 19:12 -0500, David Miller wrote:
> From: Ben Hutchings <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 00:02:00 +0000
>
> > You can run an internal network, or access network, as v6-only with
> > NAT64 and DNS64 at the border.  I believe some mobile networks are doing
> > this; it was also done on the main FOSDEM wireless network this year.
>
> This seems to be bloating up the networking headers of the internal
> network, for what purpose?
>
> For mobile that's doubly inadvisable.

I don't know what the reasoning is for the mobile network operators.
They're forced to do NAT for v4 somewhere, and maybe v6-only makes the
access network easier to manage.

I doubt the extra header length hurts that much on a 3G or 4G network.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
                                                           - Albert Einstein