Re: [Xen-devel] [virtio-dev] Re: VIRTIO - compatibility with different virtualization solutions

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 11:24:14AM +1030, Rusty Russell wrote:
> Daniel Kiper <daniel.kiper@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > Hey,

> >> I can see how you'd parse my sentence that way, I think, but the two
> >> are orthogonal.
> >>
> >> AFAICT your grant-table access restrictions are page granularity, though
> >> you don't use page-aligned data (eg. in xen-netfront).  This level of
> >> access control is possible using the virtio ring too, but noone has
> >> implemented such a thing AFAIK.
> >
> > Could you say in short how it should be done? DMA API is an option but
> > if there is a simpler mechanism available in VIRTIO itself we will be
> > happy to use it in Xen.
>
> OK, this challenged me to think harder.
>
> The queue itself is effectively a grant table (as long as you don't give
> the backend write access to it).  The available ring tells you where the
> buffers are and whether they are readable or writable.  The used ring
> tells you when they're used.
>
> However, performance would suck due to no caching: you'd end up doing a
> map and unmap on every packet.  I'm assuming Xen currently avoids that
> somehow?  Seems likely...

If you're talking about Xen drivers in Linux kernel...

At least for Xen network backend in mainline Linux, it uses copy instead
of map.  Zoltan Kiss @ Citrix is working on a mapping network backend.
He uses batch unmap to avoid performance penalty.

Wei.